Bryn Mawr, rich with history, is the center point on the prominent Pennsylvania Main Line. Like many towns in Pennsylvania, Bryn Mawr was a part of the land charter given to William Penn by King Charles II. In 1683, Rowland Ellis purchased 800 acres from Penn in an area just north of the town. Ellis built a two story stone mansion, which still stands today, and named his farm “Bryn Mawr”, which means great hill in Welsh. As prominent Philadelphians began to live permanently in Bryn Mawr, the demand for the finest schools for their children, health care for their well-being and merchants for their goods increased and Bryn Mawr became a focal point of the now prestigious Main Line community.
Today, Bryn Mawr continues to be the center point of the Main Line, thriving with local businesses, restaurants and other first class amenities that make this area such a wonderful place to reside in. Bryn Mawr is home to Bryn Mawr College, a women’s liberal arts college, along with Swarthmore College and Haverford College. Bryn Mawr is also conveniently located only about thirty minutes from center city Philadelphia.